Scribner adds another trophy to her case

BRANDON TRUJILLO

Media teacher and Cleveland Publications adviser thanks her journalism students while accepting the Golden Apple Award on May 13.

staff reports

When media teacher Teresa Scribner received an email notifying her she was named a 2019 Golden Apple Award winner, she initially dismissed it. The day after Thanksgiving, Scribner got the message saying she was a recipient of the prestigious award. The Golden Apple Awards honors successful teaching models and programs among Washington state educators.
“I didn’t understand why I had won something because I hadn’t entered any contests,” Scribner said.
She later learned the cable access channel, KCTS 9, had called Principal George Breland and asked about her teaching philosophy. The committee wanted to recognize a media teacher who was leading young journalists in a positive direction while the media is under attack. Scribner was their choice.
In December, she was invited to the KCTS studios to film a promotional video highlighting her program. The 60-second ad can be seen on Channel 9 throughout its weekly programming.
“Now that I understand why I was chosen, I’m really flattered,” she said.
On May 13, representative from KCTS presented Scribner with the award and a check for $500 in front of her journalism students. She had asked that they be there for the presentation.
“I wouldn’t be standing here with this award if it weren’t for you guys,” she said to her team. The students surprised her with balloons and cupcakes.
Scribner is no stranger to winning awards. In her seven years as a teacher at Cleveland, she has racked up five awards, two of them on the national level. Despite all the accolades, Scribner remains cool about her trophies.
“If I did this job just to win stuff then I’d be doing it for the wrong reason,” she said. “Journalism is my passion, and I want my students to know it can be their passion, too.”