New literary magazine offers a place for student writing

Teresa Lee, staff reporter

TERESA LEE
Humanities teacher Stephanie Cristol is starting a literary magazine for student writing.

Cleveland is receiving a new form of sharing literature. Senior Humanities teacher Stephanie Cristol is starting the school’s first literary magazine, and she has high hopes for it. Cristol has been advertising the literary magazine since early January.
“The purpose is to provide an outlet for student writing … so students have a place to share their work and we can bring writers together,” Cristol said. She mentions that there is no place for students to share their writing at the school and students do not have the opportunity to read the work done by their peers.
The origin of the club was born from a chat Cristol had with a student.
“It was a conversation I was having with Jorge Cortez Sanchez,” she said. “Jorge’s a poet, and he does a lot of poetry on his own time … I asked him if he ever thought about publishing. The idea kind of came from there.”
Students interested in submitting their writing to the literary magazine must keep their submission to less than 2,000 characters. The writing must be original.
“They can submit in any genres,” said Cristol. “So, it can be poetry. Maybe you’re a musician or a rapper and you write lyrics maybe you want to publish your lyrics.”
Submissions are due by March 15.