Ordering Uber Eats for lunch? Not so fast

School policy puts restriction on food delivery services

By Taylor Moe, Staff reporter

Students who rely on food delivery sources to get their lunch are in for rude awakening. The principal is enforcing a policy that will restrict food deliveries to the grade-level lunch times. The deliveries were having a negative effect on the classroom environment, which is why the new rule was established.

According to Principal George Breland, the new policy was a “school-based decision.” Most schools in the Seattle School District do not have this rule. But unlike Cleveland, most schools are not located in an area where there are few fast-food options.

Administrators felt the need to enforce a policy that confines the time in which students can order food, mainly due to the increased number of tardy and absent students, which occur when they leave class to go pick up their food.

“What was happening was that it was making them late,” Breland said. “The delivery services would be coming in here and trying to get kids out of class and … it was messing with the academic environment. We just didn’t want it to be ordered during class time.”

Several teachers complained about the disruption, as well as the smell of food throughout the class, which was a distraction to other students’ learning.

Biology teacher Gregory Kowalke thinks having food in class is troublesome to his class environment. He said students often leave a mess when they finish their meal.

“[They] are not great about cleaning up after themselves,” Kowalke said. “So, as far as the distraction and the amount of food, the smells, things like that … yeah, it’s disruptive to my class.”

Students who are caught or reported breaking the policy will be given a warning for their first infraction. After that, consequences will be determined based on the situation.

Having this new policy does not restrict students completely from ordering food, but it requires that students have a level of responsibility.

“You guys are young adults, and we should treat you like young adults,” said Breland. “Be responsible with your freedom.”