ASB leaders redeem themselves after initial low rating

In the November issue, The Journal gave a review of Cleveland’s Associated Student Body (ASB), giving the school’s leadership team a C+ due to poor ad- vertising, lack of accountability, and a poorly executed homecoming assembly. At the time, it appeared as if ASB was doing what they need to do, but not do- ing anything special.

As the school year comes to an end, The Journal is reexamining ASB’s per- formance to see if they improved, stayed stagnant or gotten worse.

Accountability

ASB used to have mandatory meet- ings every Tuesday for every branch of ASB, but due to a time con ict with activities coordinator Bryan Gordon’s schedule, ASB now is expected to manage their own meetings. Did this increase of self-responsibility improve their accountability? ASB president Ab- dulagani Mohamad says it did.

“It has improved. We have meetings every Tuesday, and if people can’t come, we are not mad about it. It’s all about communicating with another team member to make sure that everyone is on point,” Mohamad said.

The Journal believes that by letting ASB lead their own meetings, it pro-

motes accountability and shows that ASB can manage without the aid of an advisor. We give ASB a slightly higher B- for accountability.

Communication

A key part of being in ASB is the ex- pectation they will keep the student body in the know about events and for the most part they are. Most grade levels have a robust Facebook group that informs stu- dents about upcoming events, volunteer opportunities and general student dis- cussions. ASB also now has an app that informs students of events and sports matches while rewarding students who go to these events. However, the Class of 2020 is severely lacking in communica- tion, not updating their Facebook group since the beginning of the school year.

“I don’t think [class o cers] commu- nicated a lot with us,” said sophomore Jonah Schur. “They didn’t even ask for input, so a lot of their fundraisers failed.”

The Journal feels most of ASB has done an excellent job in communicat- ing but can’t ignore the disregard for student voice some leaders have shown. ASB gets an A- for communication.

Supporting events

ASB did well communicating about

upcoming events, but were they sup- porting them? The Journal believes ASB has stepped in some ways by having more student leaders attending school functions, but poor advertising ruined certain events. Some leaders have con- tinued to badmouth their own events which ruins the experience for students before they even set foot at the venue.

ASB presence was strong during the fall sports season but fell o during win- ter and was non-existent in the spring. We give ASB a B+ on supporting events.

Pep rallies

Pep rallies at Cleveland are a hard sell. Even with cool activities, student engagement is still low and lacks energy. But even if running a pep rally is hard, we expect our ASB to pull it o and do it well because we have only a handful of pep rallies a year. There were some hits and misses: the Back-to-School assem- bly was fun, but the homecoming rally was a bust. Based on feedback from stu- dents, they enjoyed the last Red Friday assembly. The activities were exciting, from the sports tournament to the boun- cy house. We would still like to see more games that involve the whole crowd in- stead of the same select few.

ASB gets an A- for their improved peprally activities.

Dances

At Cleveland, dances are not the most popular events to attend. In previous years, dances were canceled due to low ticket sales. Even though Eagles might not be dance crazy, that is no excuse for a poor event. The DJ selection and the subsequent music choices are what stu- dents complain about the most. We rec- ognize that you can’t please everyone, so for that we’ll give ASB a pass with a B+.

Final grade

Being a part of ASB is no easy task, and we admire all the students stepped up to lead this year. Being a role model for your peers is a heavy weight to carry, but most of the leaders rose to the oc- casion. Next year, we want to see more from ASB; not just in event, but in lead- ership. Don’t just be visible at sporting events, be visible mingling with other students. Show the student body that you’re here to serve them. We see the improvement so keep moving forward.

Overall grade: B+

This editorial was written by Mauricio Vasquez and reflects the opinions of the entire Cleveland Publications staff.

Cleveland Publications leadership team: Tina Dang, Jay Kent, Ruth Mulugeta, Andrew Cornel, Molly House and Wen Eckelberg.