Seniors celebrate with last dance at fairytale prom

The Class of 2018 gathers on the dance  oor for a group photo at their fairytale-themed prom, “Happily Ever After,” on May 12, at 415 Westlake.

The Class of 2018 gathers on the dance oor for a group photo at their fairytale-themed prom, “Happily Ever After,” on May 12, at 415 Westlake.

Cleveland Publications

Cleveland Publications

Staff Reports

Cleveland Publications
Mynisha McGrew, left, Jacqueline Ramos and Ai Vy Nguyen smile at the screen while watching a slideshow of memories. Seniors submitted their most memorable photos from their time at Cleveland to be played during prom.

The Class of 2018 kicked off senior season with one of their last – but most anticipated – events of the year: prom.

The fairytale-themed dance was all about tuxes, tulle and flowing floral gowns as the senior class came dressed for their night of “Happily Ever After” on May 12.

Cleveland’s colors may be red and white, but blue was the color of the night as most dance-goers came decked out in various shades of the color. Most girls stuck to the fairytale theme, opting for long, floral patterns or blinged-out ball gowns. Several guys went for navy or royal blue suit jackets, while other chose flashy patterns. Most couples coordinated their colors to match, and following tradition, ladies wore corsages and the men wore boutonnieres.

The locale, 415 Westlake in South Lake Union, was decorated with purple and pastel-colored paper flowers and twinkling lights. Purple, gold and white balloons littered the floor, but were quickly removed after they started to pop. Tables filled with cookies, candy and light snacks allowed partygoers to refuel throughout the night, while a chocolate fountain satisfied everyone’s sweet tooth. Seniors lined up for the photo booth, using various props to take pictures with their friends.

It took a while to get the dance floor going, but once couples hit the floor, it was non-stop dancing.

Cleveland Publications
Jahleel Breland, left, and Ruth Mulugeta have their first dance after being crowned prom king and queen.

Ruth Mulugeta and Jahleel Breland were crowned prom Queen and King. After being crowned, the couple shared a slow dance together.

As the night came to an end, the class did a final toast with glasses of sparkling cider after watching a slideshow filled with photos from their time at Cleveland.