‘Rockin’ Sock Hop’ auction hauls in $30K for school

Chris Rhinehart (384) raises her bid number during the live portion of the PTSA’s annual Red & White Auction on April 28, at the South Seattle College Brockey Center. The event brought in more than $30,000 for the school.

Lydia Sourichanh

Lydia Sourichanh

Molly House, Staff Reporter

The PTSA’s annual Red & White Auction is a chance for the school to raise money for its programs, a night where the S.U.P. winners have the honor to stand in the spotlight, and the Cleveland community can enjoy an evening of boisterous games – all while giving back to the school community.

Designed around a 50’s sock hop theme, friends of Cleveland, families and staff members came en masse to the event, decked out in poodle skirts, leather jackets and high-top Converse sneakers.

The Red & White Auction is the school’s biggest fundraiser, bringing in tens of thousands of dollars for CHS. The PTSA procured more than 150 silent auction items, everything from handmade necklaces to dance classes, ceramic birdhouses to gift baskets. While the profit from the actual night wasn’t as lucrative as last year’s auction, the group raked in around $33,000; the Muckleshoot tribe donated $5,000.

Although the PTSA did not sell enough tickets to reach the car giveaway, more than $7,800 was raised from the Mercedes-Benz raffle. Lolie Farinas was the winner of the $1,000 Nike gift card, while Norm Chin won the 60-inch Smart TV with a Sony sound bar.

The evening began with a silent auction which raised funds for academics, athletics and activities. It was followed by an awards ceremony for the 2018 Golden Eagles, a recognition for the overall winners of the monthly Spirit, Unity, Progress award. These honorees earned feature spreads in the yearbook and took home medals in honor of their contributions to Cleveland. Javari Bogan, one of the S.U.P. honorees, thoroughly enjoyed himself.

“I loved [the auction],” he said. “It was one of the best school events that I’ve been to.”

It was Bogan’s lucky night. The sophomore won over $150 playing “Heads or Tails.”

“Besides winning the money and the award, I got to meet a lot of new people … honestly it was just a really great environment.”

Before dinner, attendees had the opportunity to donate money to the Dessert Dash, which gives tables that offered the most money firsts dibs at the sweets table. Proceeds raised from the dash benefit the Class of 2018.

Jim Dever, co-host of “KING 5 Evening,” served as auctioneer during the live auction.

Precious few understand the amount of time and effort it takes to full off a successful school auction. The PTSA and the auction committee have been planning the event since last summer. Vanessa Isabell, PTSA president, had a key role in making sure the auction is a successful one. As head of logistics, she was in charge of securing the venue and planning the menu. Though Isabell and a group of dedicated parents were the ones doing the heavy lifting.

“I think the most difficult part is just trying to get parents involved,” Isabell said. “The load gets really heavy with the core group of parents that contribute to the efforts of the PTSA throughout the year.”

Isabell was proud of the work put in by the group.

“Just seeing the fruits of our labors, and how that contributes to the different funding goals of the school … and different needs for the school, which make me remain involved with the PTSA in spite of the different challenges that we have, and in spite of how overwhelming it can be,” she said. “I know the work that the team and I are doing is making it better for our kids.”

Teachers and coaches who may need help paying for projects can apply for money by filling out a funding request form. The next PTSA meeting is Tuesday, May 8, at 6 p.m. in Room 1162.