Revolutions don’t start by being obedient

Brandon Teeny, Staff Reporter

Ever since the shooting at Stoneman Douglas High School on Valentine’s Day that killed 17 students and staff members, many adults have tried to shut down the voices in response to the shooting, which are primarily held by a young audience. Students at Cleveland have mixed opinions on the opposition that is happening, but I know for sure that the opposition is good.

The fact that adults tell us in one breath to speak up for our rights and then in the next attempt to shut us up when lawmakers take notice is completely laughable. Why tell us to speak up for our rights if you’re going to turn around and try to muzzle us?

“I feel like all students have the right to speak their mind and say whatever they want,” said freshman Demetreyonna Lindsey. “I feel like teachers think that they have control over us because they’re older than us.”

Students can be undermined by their elders because of the stereotypes put on us. It is frustrating for the students who want to make a difference in the world. Sophomore Mitchell Moss believes we’ve done this to ourselves.

“We’re the same generation that’s been eating Tide Pods and snorting condoms and posting it on YouTube,” he said.

Moss said students should try to work with adults before going a national stage and insulting the people from whom we are trying to get help.

“I’ve seen a lot of … ‘Oh, you must not care about kids; you must not this and that,’” Moss said. “When you’re attacking someone like that, they won’t want to help you so if you give them more respect … they’re gonna respect you because they’re gonna see that you’re mature and sophisticated.”

This is a move that has to be reciprocated. Adults insult kids all the time, so I feel that they deserve to have some of it come back on them. We can’t let them knock down our self-esteem and confidence. Instead, we have to try our best to gain their attention in a compelling way. Senior Olivia Raymond-Williams believes adults need to start listening to young voices who are trying to create a better future.

“I think that it’s important that students have voices because we’re the next generation and our way of thinking – especially now – is really revolutionary,” she said. “We’re gonna be the people that’s gonna have to live with the world we create, so it’s important that we get our voices heard.”

I personally believe that we as students need to continue to act out and present our believes in front of big audiences so we can get attention that can spur changes. Raymond-Williams has some hopes for what she wants to see in the futures.

“I want to see equality for all types of people like genders and races,” she said. “I … want to cut down the violence in the U.S.”

Raymond-Williams can’t accept that other countries are able to have less murders, but America can’t.

“I just want to live in a world that is safe, you know?”

If lawmakers want obedience, they should do their jobs. And if they want us to act like adults, the least they could do is act like one too.