Journalism team scores big at state, national conventions

Back to Article
Back to Article

Wen Eckelberg, the executive producer for “Vantage Point,” holds CPub’s award for Best of Show in news broadcast.

Cleveland Publications

Cleveland Publications

Cleveland Publications

From staff reports

Members of Cleveland’s journal- ism team took home awards at the JEA/NSPA National High School Journalism Convention on April 14. Nine students represented the Cleveland Publications (CPub) staff at the three-day conference in San Francisco.

“Vantage Point,” the school’s news broadcast, made the Top 10 in the Best of Show competition for that category. CPub submitted an episode that examined gentrification in Seattle’s south end.

Editor in-Chief Tina Dang scored the highest honor of Superior for her photography portfolio. The senior was the recipient of the Washington Journalism Education Association’s Lu Flannery Outstanding Journalist Award at the state convention in March.

Sophomore Molly House and senior Ruth Mulugeta both earned Honorable Mention in feature and sports writing, respectively. Sophomore Lydia Sourichanh also earned Honorable Mention in sports feature photography.

CPub also cleaned up at the Washington Journalism Education Association’s state competition as well. The visuals team, which includes design, photography, layout and illustration, had a strong showing.

Sophomore Akira Copeland won Superior for her news/feature photographs for yearbook. On top of her win at nationals, Dang also took home a Superior award in sports photography for yearbook. Sourichanh earned Honorable Mention in sports photography for news- paper while sophomore Steven Mai earned the same in design for year- book layout.

On the writing side, Newspaper Content Manager Jay Kent earned a Superior in editorial writing. House took home an Honorable Mention for newspaper feature writing.

CPub is advised by Multimedia teacher Teresa Scribner. Scribner and her students have won several awards since she took over the pro- gram in 2012.