Winter sports end on a high

Senior Kevin Nguyen, right, flips his O’Dea oppo- nent during a match on Jan. 11. Nguyen was the team’s only senior.

Tina Dang

Tina Dang

Compiled from Staff

BOYS BASKETBALL

Despite a 81-65 season-opening loss to Garfield, the Eagles persevered, going on a four-game winning streak before their next loss at a tournament in Kentucky.

“The best part of the season was when we got to travel as a team to Louisville,” said senior guard Charles “C.J.” Elleby. “That was very fun, and we got to spend a lot of time together.”

Although the Eagles went 1-3 in the tournament, Elleby said the trip was still fun.

What wasn’t fun? Losing to Eastside Catholic in the first round of the district tournament. Elleby called it “the worst part of the season.”

“That was an important game to getting us to State, and since we lost, it kinda ruined our chances.”

Cleveland ended the season with a 13-10 record. They finished 3rd in Metro League.

WRESTLING

It’s hard to stay positive when it feels like the team isn’t working well together. That’s what happened early in the season for the wrestlers. The Ea- gles hit a low point around Christmas break, when some of the wrestlers quit. But the team rallied and nished the season on a high.

“We all went to Regionals; from the Regionals, that was the high point,” said Dave Rosario, the head coach. “We nished 7th in the Regionals, 8th in the Metros … three guys went to state.”

Junior Thaddeus Driscoll said de- spite the shu ing team, he still felt supported by the other wrestlers.

“I always felt like my fellow wrestlers and my coaches wanted me to win.”

Driscoll called wrestling “the best sport in the world.”

“The only thing stopping you is yourself and you can overcome that pretty easily.”

BOYS SWIM

While the boys swim team had a year full of challenges ranging from a lack of attendance in practices to a shift in team dynamics, the swimmers still managed to finish the season in high spirits. Coach Ryan Kastl is adamant this past season was one for the books.

“This is our best record − I will dare say − in Cleveland boy swimming history,” Kastl said. “We won the most number of meets that we ever have and have set new records in almost every single event.”

Junior Ming Cheng Zhong credits Kastl with the team’s success.

“He’s a good coach,” Zhong said. “He’s really good at sports; he helped me to improve my form and he helped my teammates to improve.”

While their accomplishments are something to be proud of, the team excelled in another, less ashy area: teaching newcomers how to swim. Kastl said it makes an impact.

“Allowing those kids to learn how to swim … that’s always a huge part of the program, and

it’s pretty unique to our team.”

GIRLS BASKETBALL

A er the Lady Eagles started the season with a loss against Gar eld, they came back with a vengeance, winning the next four games. They finished the regular season on another winning streak before stunning their Metro League opponents for the championship against previously undefeated Seattle Prep.

The girls went 16-7 on the season.

“This season was like a rollercoaster, it was a strong rollercoaster,” said Breona Devers, a junior. “We stayed together and we motivated ourselves because nobody believed in us.”

The Lady Eagles came away with second place in the District Championships. The team fell short on the road to the Dome, but proved that the Lady Eagles are still a force to be reckoned with.