Junior class wins tickets to see ‘Hamilton’

Brandon Teeny, Staff Reporter

Last June, Humanities teachers Andy Coughran and Lauren Stark and librarian Lee Micklin submitted an application for the opportunity for juniors to participate in the Hamilton Education program, which included seeing the play, “Hamilton.”

2,800 students from across the state packed inside the Paramount Theater in downtown Seattle on March 8. Cleveland was allotted 190 tickets for juniors to see the Tony award-winning musical. The coveted tickets are hard to come by, with the price range of $250 to $1,000.

Early this year, the juniors listened to the entire “Hamilton” soundtrack and analyzed what playwright and actor Lin-Manuel Miranda was trying to show in his musical. In order to make the trip to the theater, students had to create a piece of work that reflected on Alexander Hamilton’s time. Some of the choices for their work were to write a poem, song, or rap. Students highly anticipated the opportunity to score free tickets to the performance.

© THE GILDER LEHRMAN INSTITUTE OF AMERICAN HISTORY
Juniors Deja Blankenship, left, and Davion Boucree are
all smiles as they prepare for the start of the musical, “Hamilton,” on March 8. The junior class was awarded the opportunity through a grant.

“I’m excited because ever since we started listening to the songs, it’s fun – the fact that it has history and a musical into it, so we get to kind of interact if you know the songs with the musical,” said junior Jacqueline Ruiz.

Except for a few hitches in the schedule, the experience did not disappoint. That morning, students had the chance to participate in a question and answer session with the cast, and see the best students’ work performed from each school.

Cleveland juniors Saiyana Suzumura and Kahlia Devenaro gave a spoken word performance called “Perspective” about Thomas Jefferson, told from the viewpoint of a slave. After lunch at the Pacific Place AMC theaters, students settled in to see the musical.

Juniors Saiyana Suzumura, left, and Kahlia Devenaro act out their 3-minute play called “Perspective” about Thomas Jefferson, told from the viewpoint of a slave.

“It was amazing,” said Duy Nguyen.

Some students were a bit surprised at the play.

“There was more singing than I thought there was,” said junior Jente He. “I thought there was going to be more talking to explain the plot.”

The play lived up to its Broadway hype. Junior Calvin Fung said, “I think my favorite part of the play was seeing how everything was so organized, so professional, despite it being not the original cast, to see everything move in like, one fluid motion.”

Despite some glitches with the afternoon buses, students recognized the opportunity was not one that every student would be able to have.

“I’d say that we’re extremely lucky,” Nguyen said.