Multicultural Night celebrates Cleveland’s diverse community

Back to Article
Back to Article

Sophomore Gabriella Payoyo performs a traditional Polynesian hula at Cleveland’s Multicultural Night on March 9.

BRANDON TRUJILLO

BRANDON TRUJILLO

BRANDON TRUJILLO

Maria Nguyen, Staff Reporter

On March 9, the Cleveland community gathered to celebrate its annual Multicultural Night. Hosted by ASB, the event is a chance to celebrate all of the school’s diversity in the form of dance, spoken word and fashion.

The show began with an “around the world” fashion show where students modeled out ts that represented various nations. It was followed by cultural dance performances from community groups and Cleveland students. Many talents were showcased such as the hula dance, a fan dance and rap performances.

“I chose to perform because I felt like the Polynesian culture isn’t showed off,” said sophomore Gabriella Payoyo, who performed the Polynesian hula. “I liked seeing the diversity in everyone’s culture and how we all connect.”

For other students like Janelle Tuble, it was a chance to learn more about their own roots.

“I performed the fan dance with Filipino Club,” she said. “I joined because I wanted to learn more about my Filipino culture.”

The fan dance is used to demonstrate a folklore in an entertaining way. The night ended with the Chinese lion dance.

“The lions took turns drinking the wine and got drunk and fell asleep,” described sophomore Hung “Floki” Nguyen, refer- ring to the symbolic vase of wine. “There was a lot of interaction with the viewers, a lot of moving up and down the stage.”

Junior class president Souleyman Drabo served as the emcee for the evening.