Flat Earth aims to be largest club at Cleveland

The Flat Earth Club poses for their yearbook photo on Feb. 5. Members of the Flat Earth Club look to under- stand how conspiracies are spread and learn the methodologies in making sound scientific claims.

CLEVELAND PUBLICATIONS

CLEVELAND PUBLICATIONS

Jay Kent, Staff Reporter

Senior Trevor Rosenstrom is the founder of the Flat Earth Club.

Flat Earth Club, championed by senior Trevor Rosenstrom, is now Cleveland’s largest club with over 130 members, but it didn’t get to that point without a struggle.

“We’re trying to debunk bad science, it’s really the whole purpose of the club,” said Flat Earth Club advisor and science teacher Ryan Kastl. “And since flat-earth-ing is one of the biggest, ridiculous ideas going right now that just proved to be a very funny title.”

“I usually joked with Kastl during physics, anytime he’d say something related to the Earth, I’d kind of correct it with a joking at-earth model,” said Rosenstrom. “He was like, ‘You should make a club and see how many people join it,’ …and at that point I was already kind of thinking about it … and then he said he’d put $50 towards a pizza party for the club if it became the biggest club in the school, and that made it a challenge.”

With a challenge to meet, Rosenstrom took to the hallways in search of recruits. “We mainly went around and talked to people like ‘Hey, we’re gonna become the biggest club ever, you should join it, there’s a pizza party.’ That tends to get a lot of people’s attention.”

With the promise of a pizza party and a non-committal agreement, the member count began to skyrocket. In time, it was the largest club at Cleveland.

“I think it’s just the right amount of stupid, and just the right amount of not-quite-going-too-far that it gets both the kids who are doing it for a joke ironically, and also the smart kids that are just kinda like ‘This is funny.’ It gets the full range of people into it,” Rosenstrom said.

With the club’s rising popularity comes some infamy, mostly in part due to being called “Flat Earth Club.”

“I think I get a lot of support from staff that I know, and maybe not so much from the staff that I don’t know, because at first glance it does look like a stupid club. You have to be in on what it actually is to know what it is.”

While the name may leave a poor first impression, it can’t be any further from the truth. Members of the Flat Earth Club look to understand how conspiracies are spread and learn the methodologies in making sound scientific claims.

“One of the main questions that we like to ask people that are in the Flat Earth Club is ‘You know the Earth is round right? Makes sense? Prove it to me,” Rosenstrom said. “And it’s kind of hard to do that unless you know exactly why things are happening and how a lot of physics works, but if you don’t know that it’s hard to actually say that.”

There’s only one loose end remaining.

“I just told them that if they could become the biggest club at Cleveland I would put in money for a pizza party,” said Kastl. “But there have been some stipulations put on that, because based on our attendance in our first few meetings we haven’t been near the numbers that we should be expecting for it, and so the caveat is we’re not going to do the afore-mentioned pizza until we actually look like a club.”

Flat Earth Club meets every other Thursday in Room 1107, where you will also be able to find the link to sign up for the club.