9th grade religion project gets bigger, better

Maxwell Brooke explains his display about Islam and the Grand Mosque in Mecca during the “Museum of Religious Tolerance and Understanding” on Dec. 14, 2017. In its second year, the freshman Humanities project expanded in size and added new requirements for students.

Eden Morrison

Eden Morrison

Mauricio Vasquez, Staff Reporter

In an effort to showcase the diversity of religions around the world, the 9th grade Humanities classes put on its second annual Museum of Religious Tolerance and Understanding on Dec. 14, 2017.

The event is meant to spread religious tolerance by making students and viewers more aware of the different ways people worship around the world. The building is turned into a makeshift art gallery, with displays set up across multiple floors.

As the event began, many sophomores who participated in last year’s museum said the show had greatly improved from last year’s. One of the additions was that students created pamphlets containing information on the religions. There were displays on Islam, Christianity and Confucianism as well as other less commonly-known religions.
Another improvement was in the voting system. The museum participants were asked to vote from Most Informative, Most Interactive, Most Artistic, Best Student Guides and Best in Show. Last year, only visitors were allowed to vote. The adult impressions were positive.

“I was impressed by all I learned,” said Eric Hull, father to freshman Jake Hull. “I didn’t expect this much effort from the students.”

Carolyn Hull was amazed by the size of the event.

“It was a lot bigger than I thought,” she said.

While religion was the theme for a second year, Evin Shinn, one of the organizers, said the theme may change next year.

“I don’t know if we want to do a museum based on religion next time,” he said. “We could do one based on the history of war or countries; we just have to see.”