Winter Sports Recap

Eagles place 3rd in Metro League basketball tournament

Senior Charles “C.J.” Elleby goes up for a dunk on Senior Night against South end rival Rainier Beach on Feb. 2. Coach Jerry Petty announced Elleby and Jahleel Breland would have their jerseys retired at the end of the season.

Tina Dang

Tina Dang

From Staff Reports

Basketball

The girls and boys basketball teams, along with the cheerleaders, celebrated their Senior Night on Feb. 2. The Lady Eagles dominated Rainier Beach, but the boys came up short in the final quarter. That didn’t dampen the love that was in the air for the Class of 2018. Coach Jerry Petty announced that C.J. Elleby and Jahleel Breland would have their jerseys retired at the end of the season.

After finishing in 3rd place in the Metro League tournament, the Eagles took on Eastside Catholic during the first round of the 3A SeaKing District Tournament at Ingraham. The winner was guaranteed a spot in the Regional round of the state tournament, but Cleveland fell to the Crusaders 74-62. The team will play O’Dea or Bellevue on Thursday at Sammamish.

Wrestling

Despite only winning three matches this season, the wrestling team had something to celebrate. Six male wrestlers qualified for Regionals at Nathan Hale and both girls on the team qualified for Regionals at Sedro-Wooley High School.

Makayla Carter, Makelle Mills, Rio Sandoval, Jeremy Troung, Dejovonnie Arns, Savion Galloway, Aram Gould and Alberto Quintanilla all made the trip with the top four from each weight class advancing to State.

Galloway and Gould advanced to the Tacoma Dome. The wrestlers will be competing in the State Tournament on Friday and Saturday.

Boys Swim

Lydia Sourichanh
Sophomore Steven Mai was one of 10 swimmers who advanced to districts.

Boys Swim sent 10 swimmers to districts on Feb. 9. Anthony Bui, Andrew Hong, Alvin Siu and Adian Lopez-Escarez all competed in individual races.

Dylan Dang, Steven Mai, Corey Nhan, Wayne Ong, Kevin Tellez and Ming Cheng Zheng all competed as relay teams.

Although none of the boys advanced to state, the team was pleased with their showing in district action.