Custodians, Green Team work to keep campus clean

Zeynab+Idris+is+the+treasurer+for+the+Green+Team.+The+group+focuses+on+composting+and+recycling+to+keep+Cleveland%27s+campus+clean.+
Zeynab Idris is the treasurer for the Green Team. The group focuses on composting and recycling to keep Cleveland's campus clean.

Eden Morrison

Eden Morrison

Kezia Cook, Staff Reporter

Once again, Cleveland is seeing an influx of students, leading to the school nearly meeting its maximum capacity. The increase of the student population has come with many disadvantages when it comes to size of classrooms and lack of resources. It has also led to more messes around the campus.

Head Custodian Bruce Shields has found Cleveland’s environment to be “pretty good” but always ready for improvement.

“Honestly, I believe Cleveland High School is one of the better high schools I have worked at,” Shields said. “I have worked at almost all the high schools throughout the school district, and Cleveland High School is a very classy school; it has state of the art facilities and great potential.”

But there is always room for improvement. The boys bathroom located on the second floor of Building 1, along with the boys bathrooms on the third floor of the Building 2 were recently closed because of vandalism.

“The reason the bathroom closed was because we had students – not sure if freshman or sophomore or junior or senior – but they vandalized the bathroom and put some holes in the wall and [Principal George] Breland wanted them closed,” Shields said.

Shields has stressed the importance of cleanliness to students as they leave the lunchroom. Both he and Breland are conscientious when it comes to the school’s hygiene.

“Periodically, I meet with Mr. Breland … and along with security, and we talk about ways to improve the cleanliness of Cleveland High School. And I’ll reach out from time to time to the students and let them know they need to put the garbage in the garbage can and not leave it on the table,” Shields said.

Cleveland’s custodians aren’t the only ones enforcing the importance of good habits to students. Zeynab Idris, treasurer for the Green Team, is just as passionate in the fight for the cleanliness for Cleveland’s campus.

“After the two lunch periods are over, that is when the campus is really messy,” she said. “One of the things we do is composting, and we really tried to keep the lunch room as clean as we can and have everyone throw away their disposables in according bins,” she said.

Idris is proud of the Green Team and their progress within the school.

“If we did not take responsibility for composting, then the custodians and janitors would have to do it on their own, and we feel bad because we’re literally like trashing the place and making them clean up most of our stuff even though we need to be responsible for our own messes,” Idris said.

Idris is not only driven by her passion for a clean environment but also by the threat of privileges being taken away for lunch time activities by the principal.

“Please take care of our school because Mr. Breland is on the edge of banning students from eating outside the lunchroom, and we all know there is not enough space to all be eating in the lunchroom.”