Boys Frisbee season cut short in quest for state

The team failed to advance past metro quarterfinals

Freshman+Issac+Woldemariam+drops+a+catch+during+the+boys+Ultimate+Frisbee+team%E2%80%99s+match+against+West+Seattle+on+Sept.+12%2C+at+the+South+Park+Community+Center.+

Brandon Trujilio

Freshman Issac Woldemariam drops a catch during the boys Ultimate Frisbee team’s match against West Seattle on Sept. 12, at the South Park Community Center.

Ruth Mulugeta, Staff Reporter

After losing 14 seniors, the Frisbee team was determined to show everyone the void wouldn’t hold them back. The Eagles shocked even their biggest supporters by dominating teams early on, giving them a 6-0 record, but a loss to Ingraham sent the team on a losing streak. After finishing second in the state last year, the Eagles failed to make it past the first round of playoffs. The boys finished their season at 6-3 in Metro League and 13-5 overall.

Although they didn’t meet their own expectations of returning to the title game, senior captain Dante Lopez-Escarez wasn’t upset by the outcome. He explained how this season played out almost exactly like his sophomore season.

“We were in Metro quarterfinals [in 2015] and we lost, so our season was over just like this year,” Lopez-Escarez said.

The Eagles lost many of their star players this year but gained a strong class of sophomores. In an effort to rebuild the program, the boys welcomed two freshmen onto the varsity team. Ricky Nguyen and Isaac Woldemariam took their new positions in stride, but were excited about playing at a higher level.

“I wasn’t really ready for it; I thought I was going to be on JV,” said Woldemariam. “My parents were very proud.”

The season may have ended earlier than they had hoped, but the Eagles haven’t put away their jerseys. Winter league begins mid-January.

“We currently have a survey up, and we’re trying to get more girls to join,” said Lopez-Escarez. He wants a balanced team that includes more female players.

Frisbee players who are interested in playing in winter league should talk to Lopez-Escarez or team advisor Steve Pratt in Room 1135.