Lack of fiscal secretary halts fundraising, school events

Jelia Farr, Reporter

Fiscal specialist Allana Farrar officially retired on October 28, 2016 after more than 15 years at Cleveland. Farrar’s position included managing school budget, monitoring fundraising proceeds and purchasing supplies for the school. Most students interacted with Farrar when it came to paying laptop fees or fines. In essence, Farrar was like the school’s bank, and when she left she cleaned out the account. All fundraisers came to a halt and ASB was forced to cancel or reschedule many of their planned events.

Dreena Clark took over the fiscal secretary position Dec. 5, nearly two months after Farrar’s retirement. Clark had a lot to learn in a short amount of time.

“I was very overwhelmed with a lot of work left for me,” Clark said.

Most teachers, who were used to having Farrar take care of their classroom supplies, had to wait while Clark became acclimated with Cleveland’s processes.

“No one was hired right away, so for two months it was quite hectic,” said Shirley Borgelt, the art teacher. In the meantime, supplies for the art department were dwindling.

“I had to figure out how to get certain things myself. I expected things to be as they were before, but instead I had much more added to my plate during those two months,” Borgelt said.

A major part of Farrar’s job was to collaborate with class officers about fundraising and how to handle money. Junior class president Tina Dang had a fond relationship with Farrar, calling her “my grandma in some sense.” But after Farrar’s retirement, Dang was left disappointed.

“No ASB events were going on during that period because we had no fiscal to help us with funds,” Dang said.

Her vice president, Phuong  Nguyen, said the lack of structure caused ASB to lose momentum after Homecoming.

“It seemed like school events were on a stand still.”

Both Nguyen and Dang agreed school spirit plummeted after Farrar’s retirement due to a lack of events.

It may take some time to get back on track, but there is hope. Borgelt offered words of encouragement for the new fiscal specialist.

“Dreena is doing a great job. It’s tough to figure out a very difficult position and it takes time.”