Eagle Nation represents against Sealth

Cleveland fans turn out in force for Homecoming tailgate, football game

Cleveland pulled out their first win of the season, beating Chief Sealth, 30-13, on Homecoming. Football parents hosted a tailgate party before the game.

Tina Dang

Tina Dang

Staff reports

Cleveland’s hallways flooded with school colors, Seahawks logos and pajamas for Homecoming 2016. The school’s first spirit week of the year featured Twin Day, Sports Day, 90s Day, Pajama Day, and finally Color Wars. Those who were running for homecoming royalty duked it out to see who had the most school spirit, showing off their best outfits. ASB filled the week with events and rallies to keep spirits high for the week.

To kick off the week, on Oct. 3, Cleveland held its second annual Lip Sync battle and highlighted several performances from CHS students. The seven contestants got creative with their routines, which they performed in front of a small crowd of about 20 people.

“A bigger party is always more fun,” said science teacher David Roark, who served as a judge.

On Tuesday, the auditorium lights dimmed down low for students to enjoy movie night. In keeping with the football theme, “Remember the Titans” was screened for students.

On Wednesday, ASB put on a pep assembly followed by an after school pep rally. After finding the food left unsupervised, many students rushed the tables, causing a few minutes of chaos. People pushed one another and climbed over railings to get to the food first.

Aside from all the chaos, students seemed to have a good time hanging with friends. The crowd was pumped and danced along to the music.

Thursday night’s tailgate party and football game had the most student spirit of all the other games. A few teachers came out and brought along their kids. Not even the rain could stop Cleveland from dominating the game. The Eagles trounced Chief Sealth, 30-13.

To cap off the week, seniors Sok Ro and Elyzha Abella were crowned Homecoming King and Queen. Juniors Jerry Ho and Emily Huynh were crowned prince and princess; Jayson Pascua and Izabella Lee, duke and duchess; and Ernesto Tugade and Gabriella Payoyo, gentleman and lady. The winners got a chance to hold court at the homecoming dance that evening.

Compiled by Max Basom, Jelia Farr, Jay Kent, Jordan Lui, Gelzen Crisanto, Ruth Mulugeta and Emily Phan-Ly