ASB, new events class struggling to find a balance

Students in School Events and Student Leadership class work on “Keep Cleveland Clean” posters to remind students to pick up their trash. Members of ASB have a strained relationship with the leadership class because no student government leaders are in the class.

Tina Dang

Tina Dang

Jay Kent, Reporter

In room 2264, students crowd around wide sheets of paper, shooting out ideas and writing them down in bright marker as quickly as they can.

Cleveland’s newest class, School Events and Student Leadership, was created by Activities Coordinator Bryan Gordon with the intent to have the class work directly with Associated Student Body (ASB) members to plan more events at Cleveland in an organized and efficient matter.

In previous years, school events were planned by ASB class officers during their advisory period, limiting the amount of time they had to execute the many things they needed to do.

The leadership class period is usually spent brainstorming events and methods of communication in small groups, ranging from planning service learning projects for service hours to week-long, school-wide events. To start off the year, students in leadership class turned homecoming into a week’s worth of events and helped set up the activities. In the past, homecoming was crammed into one day that included a pep rally, game and dance.

While the intention was to have the leadership class work alongside ASB, many ASB members are not happy with the introduction of leadership class.

“[The structure] has changed a lot, because the class is supposed to have ASB members in it,” said Tina Dang, junior class president. “But none of the ASB members are in the class due to the schedules at Cleveland.”

Leadership class was designed by Gordon to have several ASB members in it to work with students, but because of programs like Running Start and several AP classes being offered at the same time, currently no ASB members are enrolled in the leadership class.

“It’s really weird because the class is majorly freshmen, and they’ve never been to a high school dance before,” said Dang after the leadership class was tasked with planning one of the biggest dances of the year, homecoming.

Not only has scheduling kept ASB officers out of the class, but the communication between the class and ASB itself is strained.

“They do everything, and we approve it,” said ASB Treasurer Amanze Oleru. “We don’t really speak to each other much.”

The extent of the communication between the classes so far has been general financing requests, in which the details aren’t clearly explained.

“We approved their budget, but we didn’t know really what they were spending their money on entirely,” said Oleru.

In addition to this, many students aren’t aware of leadership class’ existence, meaning ASB receives criticism for school events they had no part in planning.

“We’re taking accountability for however it goes, without knowing what we’re being held accountable for,” Oleru said. “We’re completely out of the loop.”

Even though ASB has their issues with leadership class, students in the class are more positive about it.  Freshman Anthony Bui called the class “chill,” while senior Zakeya Flowers said, “It’s an easy A, and it’s fun.”

“If you’re gonna join this class, bring your creativity bubble,” said Bui.

Gordon echoes his students, saying bringing fun to Cleveland is a goal of leadership class. He encourages anyone who wants high school to be fun to join the class.

“You guys are here a majority of your day, for a long time, and if it’s miserable and not fun, what’s the point?”