South end turns up in talent show

It+was+Maverick+Garcia%2C+center%2C+who+walked+away+with+the+win+with+his+impressive+dance+skills.+Mountainview%E2%80%99s+Janea+Hall%2C+left%2C+finished+second+and+Jada+White+from+Mount+Rainier+High+School+finished+3rd+.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

South end turns up in talent show

It was Maverick Garcia, center, who walked away with the win with his impressive dance skills. Mountainview’s Janea Hall, left, finished second and Jada White from Mount Rainier High School finished 3rd .

Ji Hun Cha

Ji Hun Cha

Ji Hun Cha

Dakaria Heru, Staff reporter

Cleveland’s first citywide talent show, which invited local high schools to flaunt their skills, was a major success. On Feb. 26, more than 250 spectators packed the auditorium for “Seattle’s Got Talent,” hosted by the class of 2018. The contest featured 19 acts, including students from Franklin, Mount Rainier and Lindbergh high schools.

“It was easily one of the best – if not the very best – event I’ve been to at Cleveland,” said contest judge Chevas Gary.

Masters of ceremony, junior Amanze Oleru and sophomore Fame Lerber, kicked off the event with their charisma and witty banter. Sophomore Teddy Avestruz opened the show with an original rap then Cleveland’s vocal performers highlighted the school’s talent. Juniors Elyzha Abella, Ta’Ja Burkett and freshman Janelle Tuble all sang power ballads. Senior Ronnie Santos and freshmen Bella Lee and Jayson Pascua complemented their vocals with guitar. Faux boy band “ReRoute” closed the show. The group of juniors (Han Eckelberg, Thang Mai, Duy Ly and Anh Dao) had the audience in stitches with their performance of “What Makes You Beautiful.”

“I’m very proud of every performer that was up there,” Cleveland school registrar and judge Kelly Tagupa said. “I think everyone did a great job and I can’t wait to see the next one.”

The event took weeks to pull everything together, with multiple of planning meetings, marketing and rehearsals. The show made over $700, all going to the sophomore class.

“The hardest part was getting people to come,” said Tina Dang, sophomore class president and one of the lead organizers. “Having that extra help made a difference though.”

After the judges reached their final decision, it was Maverick Garcia from Lindbergh High School who danced away with the title.

“Honestly, I didn’t think I was going to win,” said Garcia. “The performers were so talented, especially the ones from Cleveland.”

Garcia said the competition was a challenge for him because he usually performs in dance battles instead of in front of a crowd.

ASB leaders are trying to top themselves with the Mr. Cleveland Pageant. The event is today at 5 p.m. in the auditorium.