CASH flow strong as more students seek tutoring

Lauren Jones

Senior Hilton Vo, left, helps junior Elyzha Abella with her math homework at CASH on Dec. 3, 2015. Vo volunteers as a tutor.

From staff reports

CHS has a serious CASH flow problem, but that may not be a bad thing.

Cleveland’s afterschool tutoring program has seen an increase in students over several weeks, in large part because it was the end of the semester, but some see it as a sign that students are taking their grades more seriously.

According to senior Agaziyan Mengesha, there is a noticeable increase in the number of students showing up for tutoring. He goes to get help with AP Calculus. When he first started going earlier in the school year, the ratio was one teacher to every four to six students.

“Now it’s like Bingo where the teacher comes over to answer a quick question then moves on to someone else who needs help,” Mengesha said.

Since so many students show up to get help, CASH has expanded to include multiple rooms that cover a variety of subjects. Every Tuesday and Thursday, a number of tutors are on hand, ready to help with any subject ranging from math to science to humanities. It’s become normal to see a group of students in joint study sessions in CASH, but the amount of students stopping by and getting help with homework has grown considerably.

Matt Hollar is one of the tutors who has been actively working with students each week.

“This crowd is much bigger than the crowds I was used too,” Hollar said, comparing the larger amount of students getting help before finals to the ones seeking help earlier in the semester. Hollar said that there was a lot of pressure to meet deadlines for students who were trying to get their grades up.

Sophomore and frequent CASH attendee Anthony Garcia said his time at CASH helped him combat the end of the semester.

“I come to CASH because I want to try and get more work done,” Garcia said. “I come here to not get distracted. CASH helps me focus.”

Even though this may seem like a lot of extra work for tutors like Hollar, he wants it to be known that all students are welcome to stop by.

“The teachers are always happy to help. I’m here mostly because I want to be here to help them out.”

Staff reporter A’Treu Mountha contributed to this story.