School fills part time computer science position

Fulltime teacher still needed for intro classes

Colin+Miller

Andy Huynh

Colin Miller

From staff reports

Despite hiring a number of new teachers this year, administrators have struggled to fill the empty computer science position. The school had two openings for both a part time and fulltime teacher, initially filling one position with long-term substitute Michael Lemon. But he left unexpectedly in October putting the computer science classes back in turmoil.

The school hired Colin Miller to fill the part time position in late October. Miller retired from Microsoft in July after working in the computer industry for 40 years. During that time, he worked on a wide range of software and hardware projects. He started teaching in the TEALs volunteer program at Microsoft and became hooked.

While the upper-level computer science class is now under control, the freshmen level classes are still without a teacher. The students had a revolving door of substitutes before the school was able to pull in Peter Henry. The lack of having a steady teacher was causing stress among the SoED students.

“It’s fun having free time, but were just wasting a lot of time,” said freshman Emilah Guaysing. “We didn’t come to school to just have fun; I came to learn.”

Not having a teacher has left Guaysing feeling partially angry and partially happy but she mostly feels confused. And she’s not the only one.

Freshman Mason Sadang is upset that there’s not focus in his computer science class.

“We had new teachers every day and everyone was just screwing around not doing anything,” he said. “It just made me feel … stressed but mostly mad.”

With no new hire in sight, students are left wondering if they will ever get a full time teacher. Students who are concerned about their computer science class should talk to their counselor or an administrator.

Reporter Emmanuel Espinoza contributed to this story.